Part-time Naturalist Educators
Part-time Naturalist Educators assist in development and implementation of education programs and special events. Come join our talented teaching staff! Successful candidates for this position are dependable, motivated and self-starting. Our naturalist/educators work with people of all ages and must feel comfortable speaking in front of a group. Good written and oral language skills are a must. Safe animal handling practices are required as this person will also assist with the care of each of our animals in our animal collection when working in the field.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Teaching nature and science curriculum featuring live animals in an outreach educational setting
- Utilizing props and educational materials in the teaching of science curriculum
- Safe and proper handling of reptiles, mammals, birds, amphibians, insects, mollusks among other animal orders
- Some weekend and evening work
Successful candidates will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Clean NYS Driver’s License and a cost-effective vehicle accessible for loading/unloading animals and supplies.
- BA/BS in biology, ecology, or related field.
- Clean and school-appropriate appearance suitable for young children
- Proficient in English-speaking educational environments
- Group teaching experience is mandatory and a demonstrated teaching ability with early childhood through elementary students must be collaborated through references
- Exotic animal experience is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Willingness to work long hard hours and lift 25 pound animals/caging is essential.
- Must be enthusiastic, flexible, possess a good sense of humor and a passion for learning
Compensation for this position is commensurate with education and experience.
We are grateful for all applications however only those candidates selected for
an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume with cover letter:
The Nature of Things
7 Sugar Hill Rd.
North Salem, NY 10560
Fax to (914) 276-1279
Email in MS Word, PDF or Text Format to firstname.lastname@example.org